Mogao Caves, Dunhuang

The Group in Buddhist Studies offers an undergraduate minor in Buddhist Studies.

Students may sign up to declare the minor online after reviewing the requirements. If the student wants to meet with the undergraduate advisor, appointment information is at the bottom of this page. 

The minor in Buddhist Studies entails both a language requirement and a course requirement, as follows:

Language Requirement
All students must complete two semesters of coursework (or summer session courses equivalent to two semesters of coursework) in a relevant Asian language, typically Sanskrit, Chinese or Classical Chinese, Tibetan, Mongolian, Japanese, Korean, Thai, Khmer, or Burmese. This includes students with prior facilities in a relevant Asian language. Such students have the choice of studying a further relevant Asian language at the introductory level or of taking advanced language classes, including seminars dedicated to reading Buddhist sources in their original language. Admission to such advanced language classes and seminars is subject to the instructor’s approval. It may include a placement exam following the standard policy for the language in question.Course RequirementAll students must complete a minimum of 5 letter-graded upper-division courses (20 units):

  • Three courses in Buddhist Studies.

  • Two "electives" selected from relevant courses in the Departments of Buddhist Studies, East Asian Languages and Cultures, South and Southeast Asian Studies, and History of Art. In addition to content courses, this may include upper-division courses in a relevant Asian language. Note that courses used to satisfy the language requirement do not count towards meeting the upper division course requirement.

  • Buddhist Studies C50 may be substituted for one of the five upper-division courses.

  • It may be possible for appropriate coursework in an Education Abroad Program administered by UC or another accredited university to satisfy one of the electives. Students must have this EAP coursework reviewed and evaluated by an advisor on a case-by-case basis.

Study AbroadUndergraduates interested in studying abroad may want to consider the following program:

Students can apply for the minor using the online form


Students wishing to ask for more information about the minor should contact the Undergraduate Student Services Advisor:

Cassandra DunnAppointments are available via Calendly


Office: 7228 Dwinelle Hall

And to stay in the loop, add yourself to the GBS Undergraduate E-list